A regional and international memorial around the camp

  • 1949: Princess Wilhelmine of the Netherlands inaugurates Loenen Military Cemetery, which includes a monument to Dutch KL-Natzweiler deportees.
  • 1962: French president de Gaulle inaugurates the Memorial to the Martyrs of the Deportation on Ile de la Cité in Paris on 12 April. The crypt contains the body of an unknown deportee from the Struthof national necropolis.
  • 1969: a monument is inaugurated in Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines on 22 June bearing the inscription “The Yugoslav deportees in gratitude to the innhabitants of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines”. It is known as the “Slovene monument”.
  • 1971: creation of the Natzweiler-Struthof International Committee formed of the Belgian, French, Luxembourg and Dutch (and later Norwegian) groups of former deportees.
  • 1976: a marker is affixed to the entrance of the Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines tunnel dedicated to the Yugoslav deportees who worked in the tunnel when it was a Natzweiler subcamp.
  • 1984: Minister Jean Laurain recognises the Thil subcamp’s crematory oven as a national necropolis.
  • 1985: inauguration of a plaque in Differdange (Luxembourg) on 11 May by Grand-Duke Jean in homage to five Luxembourg resisters shot at Struthof.
  • 1987: inauguration of a plaque at Rothau train station, where all the Natzweiler-Struthof deportees arrived, on the initiative of the Amicale nationale des déportés et familles de disparus de Natzweiller-Struthof et ses Kommandos, bearing the inscription “ From 1941 to 1944, thousands of deportees of many nationalities arrived here bound for the Natzweiler-Struthof Nazi concentration camp. Passersby, remember the martyrs for freedom”.
  • 1990: Grini, Norway, construction of a museum in memory of Norwegian deportees, including those of Struthof.
  • In the 1980s, associations in memory of the KL-Natzweiler subcamps were created in Germany, sometimes on the local authorities’ initiative.