Most of the camp huts were built between May 1941 and Octobr 1943, on the steep slopes of Mont Louise. The command structure was the same in all the camps. KL-Natzweiler was run by about 80 officers, non-commissioned officers and troopers under the camp commandant and his deputy. About 250 SS were assigned here throughout the war. From mid-1942, each concentration camp came under the command of "Reichsführer SS" Heinrich Himmler via "Department D" of the central SS Office for Economic Management.