Why is there a restaurant called Struthof near the gas chamber?

Struthof Inn is named after the place-name where it is located. The building, which stands across from where the Nazis had set up a gas chamber, was built in the 1930s as an annex of the restaurant. The inhabitants of the village of Natzwiller, located below, used it as a ballroom. Skiers and hikers visiting Struthof, a famous Bruche Valley tourist site since the late 19th century, stayed in the hotel complex.

The camp opened near Struthof in May 1941. From 1941 to 1944 the Nazis requisitioned the restaurant and its annexes to house some of the troops assigned to the camp, as well as a few workshops. In 1943 the ballroom was turned into a gas chamber.

This building, where so many tragic events took place, has been a historic monument since 1951. Today it is separated from the restaurant (now private property again) by a hedge that hides the place of remembrance from the view of passersby and helps to preserve the calm and dignity worthy of such a place.