What was the Kartoffelkeller used for?

“ Kartoffelkeller ” means “ potato cellar ” in German. This 120-meter-long reinforced concrete building had 22 cubbyholes and two long, parallel corridors. Camp deportees built it from 30 June 1943 to August 1944. So far, no document or first-hand account has been able to shed light on what the building was used for or what the camp’s SS administration intended to do with it. There are smaller, older buildings with similar architecture in the quarry.